Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Trying Something New

Every now and then creativity comes knocking in other way, other than scrapping. This time drawing, painting and inking came calling. I drew a few characters on our relocation trip from Darwin to Jervis Bay. (I will share them in a post soon.) They turned out okay but I struggled with how to do backgrounds to suit, so left them blank and I only had my watercolour pencils as I was limited by what I could carry in the car. So I surfed the internet looking for some inspiration for when I would be reunited with my stash and I discovered Tamara at Willowing she runs online Whimsy Character lessons. The following is my progression on a beautiful mermaid.

Drawing the body form and head

Drawing the facial features

Using Gelatos, acrylic paint and Gesso for colour on the face and body

Spray mists and Memory Maze Stencils used to create the background

Adding a white Gesso Halo around the mermaid to make her stand out from the background

The finishing touches for her hair and background and she is complete.

I love, love how she has turned out....but I think it needs a bit of texture, so my next Whimsy Girl will have a layer of paper collage added to it somewhere and I need to work on the mouth .... I think she is pulling one of those "Duck Face" looks that you see all the time in selfies and that was not my intent. Next time she will be happy. Now I need a name for her. Any suggestions?

No comments: