Pages

Wednesday, September 01, 2021

September Counterfeit Kit Blog Hop

Hello Counterfeitters. I am back, I missed the August Blog Hop as I was hand raising a litter of malamute puppies which required 2 hourly bottle feeding, but I am back this month and what a great inspirational month to come back to the kit picked this month is the min kit from

 


"Vivid" Paper:


  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Amy Tan-Late Afternoon "Make a Wish"
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Amy Tan-Late Afternoon "Free Spirit"
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Amy Tan-Late Afternoon "Warm & Cozy"
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Heidi Swapp- Old School "Summerland"
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Simple Stories-SN@P! Basics "Walnut/Cream Dot" 
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Heidi Swapp- Old School "True Blue"
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Elle & Viv- Oxidation "7" (single sided)
  • 1 piece 12x12 paper- Echo Park- Witches & Wiards "Letters"
"Vivid" Embellishments:


  • Crete Paper "Magical Forest" Puffy Alpha Copper Foil Stickers-14 pieces
  • 1 NJFB 3" x 4" Exclusive "Vivid” Stamp Set- 13 stamps
  • 1 Amy Tan-"Late Afternoon" Ephemera Pack- 40 pieces
  • 1 Jar NJFB "Vivid" Pearl Mix
  • 3 Yards "Vivid" Trim (1 yard each of 3 colors)
  • 1 Pack of NJFB Exclusive Acrylic Embellishments and 3 Mini Tassels  
  • 24 "Vivid" Textured Buttons
  • 1 “Tree Slice” cardstock cut by Sophie Gallo

 The Guest Designer for Septembers Counterfeit Kit is Lori Gaines


This kit was a good welcoming back for me, it got me thinking a bit, it really isn't my style of kit, too masculine for my usual scrapbooking subjects and not bright colours that I love to create with. I decided to start with the papers in the kit and spend a long time trying to find similar colours and styles but unfortunately I didn't have much luck. I then decided to use just the Side Bs of the patterned paper in the kit and pick one paper from the Side As to help me focus.



The top photo is my papers I picked, you can see I focused on similar colours for this kit only, I didn't even look at the patterns in the (Not) Just for the Boys Kit as I had already struggled trying to find papers that looked similar to the Side As I was already worried abut my kit. When I switched to focus on just the Side Bs I discovered there was quite a lovely range of colours that would suit my scrapping style so I was more comfortable with them and found it easier to put my kit together.
If you struggle to find inspiration from the Counterfeit Kit for the month try and focus on just one colour, one element or to cut the kit in half and concentrate on just half of it. Sometimes too much choice is overwhelming.

You can see in my photo of the papers I picked that I have added a couple of extra papers (the large dots and checks) I threw these in the end as I thought the colours complimented the ones I had already.

Now that I was happy with my papers I need to concentrate on the rest of the (Not) Just for the Boys Kit, I kept looking at these two photos (above) then looking at the papers I had picked, feeling that my kit was no way looking anything like the inspirational kit. Now we all create kits differently, we all see different inspiration and we all end up with individual kits but usually my kits I feel look similar or fall under the same theme of the inspirational kit. Not so much this month..... yet!!
With the two photos above, how could I pull my kit back in line with the inspirational kit?? The browns and wood grain is what drew my attention - right lets add some dark brown wood grain!!


I found these papers in my stash and added them to my other papers.

My next task was to look at the embellishments in the (Not) Just for the Boys Kit, I could see die cuts, tags/cards, frames, gold alphas, buttons, trim, wood gain heart and a wood/tree grain cutfile, then it kind of had a theme of homeliness and woodsiness to it, with the jumper/sweater, coffee cups and foliage. So a bit to think about and to work with, with these items in my head I go to work rummaging through my stash.

Here are my embellishments that I came up with; wood grain butterflies (so happy when I fund these), die cuts with a homey feel but have some foliage in there too, gold alphas which lead me down the path of gold stickers and gold frames. At the last moment I noticed that there were some small white tassels in the inspirational kit so I threw in some tassels into my kit. 


Here is my finished kit (sorry for the glare, it's late at night and I can't get a good photo without a light on). I am actually pretty happy with how it turned out and am excited to start using it. 

Here is the Master List for the Blog Hop for you to continue your journey.


Don't forget to pop back in for Forgeries on the Fourth and our challenges throughout the month.

Hugs
Tracey

6 comments:

cinmfoster said...

Lovely kit, Tracey. You color match is just perfect for this kit. Have fun.

Tara O said...

I just loved reading your process! I live your kit. There are plenty of goodies in there!

Tina Campbell said...

Awesome direction for your kit and it looks like your ready to head into the Spring season in your area of the world :) Great way to include your style in a kit

Julene Matthews said...

You've made it your own which is the main thing and it is ok to go rogue occasionally. I particularly like the brown papers in your kit. Have fun using it!

Misty said...

I lightened and brightened my kit this month too. Love reading your process on how you think through a kit build!

LCSmithSAVED said...

Great strategy for the save! I can hear the excitement in your description that you will definitely now look forward to using this month's forged kit. Scrap on!